When I think of my dad and his favorite dessert, I think banana cream pie. And when I think of this banana cream pie, I think of awesomeness. From the crust to the filling to the whipped cream, you won’t be disappointed!
Source: adapted from Baking Illustrated
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
7 T. unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4-5 T. ice water
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup plus 2 T. sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/8 tsp. salt
5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. unsalted butter
1-2 tsp. brandy
2 bananas, sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
garnish options: graham cracker crumbs, butterscotch chips, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 375
1. Process flour, salt and sugar in a food processor until combined. Add 3 T. butter and process until mixture has texture of course sand, about 10 seconds. Scatter remaining butter pieces and pulse in 10 1-second increments, until the mixture resembles course crumbs
2. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons water into processor and process until dough sticks together, about 5-10 seconds. Add additional tablespoon of water if needed.
3. Turn crust onto cutting board sprinkled with graham crackers. Knead scant 1/4 cup of crumbs into dough. Flatten into disk and place in freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for an hour, or up to two days.
4. Remove dough from fridge or freezer and roll out onto cutting board, again sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of crumbs into the bottom of the pie plate. Transfer dough in 8 or 9-inch pie plate and sprinkle with the rest of the crumbs. Place pie plate back into freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove pie plate from freezer, line with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until crust looks dry and light in color. Remove foil and pie weights and cook for another 5-6 minutes for partial bake and 12-minutes for fully baked.
1. Whisk sugar, corn starch and salt in medium sauce pan. Add yolks, then immediately but gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently at first then constantly as the mixture thickens and begins to simmer, 8-10 minutes. Once the mixture simmers, continue to cook, stirring constantly for another minute.
2. Remove pan from heat, whisk in vanilla, butter and brandy. Pour filling into shallow pan or other 9-inch pie pan. Put plastic wrap directly on the filling surface to prevent skin from forming, cool until warm…20-30 minutes
3. Pour 1/2 warm filling into completely cool pie shell. Place 1-banana’s worth of banana slices on top of filling. Pour the rest of the filling into pie pan. Top filling with remaining banana slices. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
whipped cream & garnish
1. When ready to serve, using an electric mixer, mix heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Mix until stiff peaks form. Slather over top of pie and garnish with your choice of graham cracker crumbs, butterscotch chips, chocolate shavings.