We are going vegetarian for the entire month of February! We’re still eating eggs and dairy, just no meat, including fish. I’m also using this month to try recipes I’ve bookmarked months (no, years) ago! It’s time. How will we feel? What will we think? Only time will tell. Each week we’re going to blog/vlog about the recipes, our thoughts and how our bodies are responding. Will we crave a hamburger? Will we even miss it? Stay tuned!
In the meantime….here is a recipe for delicious, chewy, action packed oatmeal cookies!
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Oatmeal Lavender Bars | Banana Caramel Cake
Two Years Ago: Beef and Barley Stew | Superbowl Sunday Preview
Source: Adapted from Baking Illustrated
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
16 T. (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, but still cool
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried, tart cherries
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
1. Whisk flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl
2. In a larger bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter. Add sugars and beat for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time
3. Using a plastic spatula, stir in dry ingredients. Stir in oats, cherries, chocolate chips and almonds (if using)
4. Working in generous 2 T. portions, spoon out cookie dough onto baking sheets. Place about 2 inches apart.
5. Place both baking sheets in the oven. Bake until cookie edges turn a golden brown, about 20 minutes, rotating baking sheets top to bottom halfway through. Serve with a cold glass of milk or Cherry Garcia Ice Cream!