Here at Casa de Kotecki we’re always looking to expand our repertoire of vegetarian dinners ( a big announcement about that coming in the next few weeks!). This dish will be forever on our list not only because this was delicious, but because it’s so versatile. Rice and beans are a must and a great plus, then you can add whatever veggie ingredient you want. Sauteed tempeh, spinach, squash, whatever suits your fancy. Serve with a side of tomato and avocado or homemade guacamole and you’ve got yourself set for nights on end. The one thing I also learned is that it is hard to find a good tortilla for burritos — anyone have some good suggestions?
white rice, cooked according to package
1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight and drained
6 garlic cloves, divided
1/4 onion, diced
1 red pepper, divided
mexican spices of your choosing
bunch of collard greens
1. Once you’ve drained the beans, put them in a small sauce pan and add water until it’s about 1/4-1/2 inch above the beans. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1/2-2 hours.
2. Dice 3 garlic cloves, 1/4 of the red pepper and the onion. Add to beans. Spice beans with salt, pepper and Mexican spices. Tweak and taste throughout the cooking period until you have what you’re looking for. Add cooked rice to to beans and let juices combine – yum!
3. When you’re almost ready to eat, slice the collard greens off their branch and cut into 2 square inch pieces. Dice the other 3 cloves of garlic. Slice the rest of the red pepper and set aside. In a skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sautee for about 30 seconds, add collard greens and coat with olive oil. Add some salt and pepper. Sautee until collards begin to wilt. You can also cover the greens to steam them a little bit as well. Once greens have wilted, set them on a plate.
4. Add the rest of the red peppers to the hot skillet and sautee until done.
5. Assembly: Take one flour tortilla. Place spoonful of rice along the middle. Top with collard greens and red peppers. Roll into burrito and serve! Optional sides: salsa, hot sauce, avocado and tomato salad, guacamole.