“Beanoa” (Beans+Quinoa)

Get ready for lots and lots of protein and fiber! Pronounced BEAN-WAH, the combination of quinoa and beans gives you plenty of nutrients and it’s delicious. Beans are “protein-rich superfoods” and quinoa has more protein than any other grain. I’ve made this as a side dish for tacos in place of rice and it’s delicious. Recently we ran out of the tacos so I just had this as dinner. So, so good. As a side dish it’s totally versatile and depending on how you spice it, it could go with whatever you’re making.

beanoa

Ingredients
Source: Me!
1 cup red quinoa
1 can black beans or cooked from a bag
salt and pepper to taste
cumin, cilantro, chili pepper or any other spices you choose

Directions
1. Cook quinoa according to directions
2. Meanwhile, if you’re using canned black beans drain beans and set aside. If you’re making beans from the bag, cook accordingly. When the quinoa is done add black beans and their juices to quinoa and stir. Add spices, taste and tweak.
3. Serve warm and enjoy!

Voila!

Advertisements

21 Comments Add yours

1. Beanoa:DD It’s pretty good. I like it. I’m a big quinoa fan so this recipe is definitely for me:) It’s so easy to prepare.

Thanks for sharing!

Naomi

1. Emily says:

Thanks for checking out my blog! hope you enjoy this recipe

2. Grumpy Goat says:

Has anyone tried it yet? I’m usually disappointed when I use quinoa – not sure why, but it’s usually flavorless…

1. Emily says:

Hey Grumpy Goat – try making it again. The key is to add spices over time so you don’t overload. Add, taste, tweak. hope that helps!

2. Grumpy Goat says:

I haven’t actually tried this recipe yet – what I meant to imply was that past experience with quinoa has been disappointing.

3. Emily says:

If you’re up for it, I say try it again 🙂

2. jean-philippe says:

It’s been a long time I’m saying I should try quinoa and then nothing happens… I guess your recipe is the best opportunity to stop procrastinating.

Thanks 🙂

1. Emily says:

try it! try it! let me know what you think

1. jean-philippe says:

Bought some quinoa (at last!) and beans. I should make some beanoa on Saturday. I’ll try to post a picture of the result.

2. jean-philippe says:

I tried last night. I’ve been a little sick after but don’t feel bad about it… 🙂

2. Emily says:

Yes let me know how it goes — good luck!

3. Emily says:

oh no! i’m sorry you got sick! i read through your post and sorry you got IBS. I don’t usually rinse the quinoa, but I usually rinse the beans. The quinoa should be light and fluffy when its done cooking. Did you cover it while it simmered? Hope you feel better!

1. jean-philippe says:

No problem. I have this kind of episode 5-6 times a year so no burden on your conscience… 😉

The quinoa was light and fluffy (yes, I covered it). Didn’t taste bitter at all so maybe the rince was a waste of time.

Rincing beans? Even in cans?

3. I looovvveee quinoa. I often mix black beans and brown rice, but have never tried it with quinoa. Good idea!

1. Emily says:

if you already mix rice and beans, you’ll love this combo

4. Oh yum yum yummy! I love the red variety of quinoa. I have recipe comin out soon using it. I haven’t added beans lately. Good idea! You might also like this recipe, I used quinoa for BREAKFAST!

1. Emily says:

that recipe looks great! i’m reading it as i’m eating breakfast, but tomorrow i know what i’m going to make 🙂

1. Leanne says:

I am always scared to try using different grains for breakfast, but quinoa is so good and has lots of great protein so maybe i should try it..

5. rsmacaalay says:

This is really quick and easy! Thanks for the recipe

Raymund