This is almost a vegetarian quiche. It has vegetables. It is delicious; but there is turkey bacon in it. You could use turkey sausages (like the original recipe calls for) or you could leave the meat out completely to make it only vegetables and thus vegetarian. Either way you make it, with whatever vegetables you add to it, you will be totally satisfied.
Source: Adapted from Good Things Catered
2 T. butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small red pepper, diced
1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. herbs de Provence (you can buy the blend or make it)
4 trips turkey bacon, cooked and choppd
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded, divided
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
frozen or homemade pie crust
2 T. chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 375
If using homemade pie crust: grease pie plate or deep quiche pan. Lay dough into pan and flute edges with fingers. Prick dough with fork and place into oven and bake dough for 15 mins.
If using frozen pie crust: just pour everything in at the end.
1. In large, wide pan, add butter over medium heat. Heat until melted and add diced onion and pepper with a dash of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until starting to become tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, asparagus and herbs and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally and adding salt and pepper as desired, until vegetables become slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour vegetables into large bowl. Cook turkey bacon. Once cooked, add bacon and 1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheese to vegetables. Toss to combine and place into quiche shell.
4. In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper and whisk to combine well. Pour egg mixture into quiche shell, stir a bit with fork and place into oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through.
5. Carefully remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and parsley and let cool before serving.