Matzo Brei

Matzo what? Say it with me: Maht-ZAH BRY. It’s matzo scrambled eggs that can include just the matzo, eggs and salt and pepper, or it can be dressed up with onions, peppers or mushrooms. Your choice! If you go simple, it’s best dipped in some fruit jam. Yes, say that with me too: FRUIT JAM. All is explained in the video below:

Ingredients
Source: Me
2 pieces matzo (any flavor works, although i prefer egg&onion)
2 eggs
1 T. milk
salt and pepper
fruit jam on the side

Directions
1. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 T. butter over medium heat in skillet.
3. Run matzo under cool, low pressure water. “Rinse” matzo on both sides so each piece is wet, but not drenched. Place in bowl and using fork crush into bite size pieces.
4. When butter is melted and pan is hot, pour egg/matzo mixture into pan. Use spatula to flip and scramble. Cook until eggs are well done. Meanwhile, prepare side dish of jam on a small separate plate.
5. Eat matzo brei right out of the pan, dip in the jam and enjoy!

Voila!

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. julia freifeld says:

I LOVE this video…I’m going to make a batch of matzah brei this morning!!

Mom šŸ™‚

2. Kristina says:

Awwww B I miss your face! I’m glad you did a video so I could see you while we’re apart haha. I can’t wait to see you again!

PS love the smock and the food looked awesome.

1. Emily says:

Thanks B! I miss you too! You get back to DC jan 5? Come over jan 6, please! šŸ™‚

3. I’ve never made matzo brei, but you inspire me!

1. Emily says:

Hi Tinky! Yes you should try it — let me know how it turns out!

4. huebscher says:

I *love* matzo brei ā€” can’t wait for passover!
    … have you joined the smitten kitchen “chocolate caramel matzo crack(er)” bandwagon?

1. Emily says:

oh that sounds very enticing – does it look like this? https://voilawithemily.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/kotecki-krunch/