We’ve moved on from our apple hiatus and came back swingin’! These apple spice bars have a super moist inside and a delightful crunchy topping — probably helped by the generous addition of a cinnamon sugar topping. Note this: even after 40 minutes of cooking, they may taste a little undercooked but I’ve decided that they’re not — it’s just all the moisture from all those apples! At least, that’s how I justify it to myself. Even in the directions, the bars are supposed to be soft. Ok, I’m done explaining, go try these.
Source: Dinner and Dessert
2 cup plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
small pinch ground cloves
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling (combo of 1-2 tablespoons of sugar and 1-2 tsp. of cinnamon, play it by ear)
Preheat oven to 350 and line 9×13 (or 10 inch ceramic tart pan) with foil and baking spray.
1. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.
2. In larger bowl, combine sugars and butter and mix with electric mixer on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine.
4. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
5. Add flour mixture a little at a time, mixer on low, until just combined. Fold in apples.
6. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.
7. Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving (bars will be very soft).