Thanksgiving Planning

Thanksgiving 2009
Where: Emily and James’ apartment. Fit 9-10 people and eat until we’re all in food comas.
When: One month and three days from now.
What: Start planning!

Since timing is everything on Thanksgiving, preparation starts now! I bought a new table runner, placemats and two food magazines to begin brainstorming my menu. Besides the overall theme of being thankful, happy and content, I also want to include an overall food theme: buy most of the ingredients from local farms. The turkey, potatoes, fruit and wine will all come from local farms or wineries (Debbie and my mom are graciously making the stuffing, hot veggies, rolls and appetizers).

I plan on getting the turkey from a grocer called ‘My Organic Market’, or ‘M.O.M’ for short. There are several in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area (they start taking turkey reservations November 2) and provide organic, local produce and products. I’m still debating whether to get the potatoes from a farmer’s market, or check out what the MOM has to offer. As for wines, we’ll make a day trip to a few vineyards in Virginia.

So for all you planners and Thanksgiving-Day-hosts here’s what I would suggest in the coming weeks:

• start planning your menu. If you’re having guests and would like them to bring something, contact them soon and plan who’s cooking what.
  • call your market (local or not) and see when they start taking reservations for turkeys.
  • if you’re using various stores to get ingredients, plan out what stores you need to go to and when.
  • pull together your tablecloths, decorations, plates, glassware and serving platters. Make sure you have what you need.

More Thanksgiving Day posts to come, until then, happy planning! Feel free to email me with any questions.

And one more thing…HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES!!

Advertisements

8 Comments Add yours

1. Kate says:

I did this last year! I think our apartments/kitchens are comparable in size (actually were, now that I moved my kitchen is much, much smaller). It wasn’t that bad as far as cooking, but it got INSANELY hot.

You should totally brine your turkey. Everyone will think you are a genius. I swear. Do whatever the heck else you want with it afterwards when you cook it, but definitely brine it.

Good luck!

2. Emily says:

Oh good call! I found a recipe from Bon Appetit that has a dry rub…thoughts on that? does that count as brining? http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2009/11/sage_butter_roasted_turkey_with_cider_gravy

3. Barbara says:

After all these years of doing Thanksgiving, I’m taking a 3-hour class in how to do it better at Hill’s Kitchen this year. I’ll let you know if I glean anything worth passing on!

4. Barbara says:

BTW, I just made oven-roasted fall vegetables that were so simple and so good. Basically, you roast butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and beets (all cut into bite-size pieces), with a little olive oil and seasoning, at 350 degrees for about an hour. Delish!

1. Emily says:

oh that sounds delicious! thanks for passing it on 🙂

5. jodifur says:

I thinking of getting a turkey from MOM’s as well this year. I get a whole foods turkey last year and thought it was just ok. Have you ever had a turkey from them before?

6. Emily says:

Hi Jodi! This is my first year getting a turkey from the MOM’s and I’m hoping for the best! I called yesterday, ordered my bird and I’m excited to see how it turns out!