With strawberries in season and always on sale at the market, I seem to have more of those delicious red berries than I know what do with. I’d never had a strawberry scone before and let me tell you – it’s fantastic! As you eat them throughout the week, try putting it in the toaster to warm it up before you eat it.
Recipe adapted from Good Things Catered
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp orange zest
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 c. granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 T. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (8 T.) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 c. fresh strawberries, diced
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with parchment paper
1. In small bowl, combine egg, yogurt, milk, zest, whisk to combine thoroughly and set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, powder, salt in a food process and pulse a few times until combined. Add butter pieces and pulse again (about 10ish times) until pieces of butter are the size of small pebbles
3. Pour flour mixture into large bowl. Add strawberries and toss to coat.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix in lightly with fork until dough just comes together.
5. Turn dough out onto well floured work surface and pat into large ball. Cut dough in half. Shape half of dough into flat disk shape and cut into slices of your desired shape and size.
6. Place on baking sheet and repeat with other half of dough. Sprinkle tops of scones with sugar and place in the oven.
7. Bake until turn slightly brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before eating.