On the night that American University played Villanova in the first round of the NCAA tournament, James and I had our first TV dinner. While we cheered on the AU Eagles, we feasted on a delicious pizza with fresh ingredients and homemade pesto. In the end, the Eagles lost – but at least we ate well!
Recipe Courtesy of Everybody Likes Sandwiches
1 store bought pizza dough
3 T pesto (see recipe below)
1/2 bunch of spinach, washed and torn
1/4 purple onion, sliced thinly
6-7 strips thinly sliced prosciutto
2 large, or 5 small, dried figs, diced
1/2 log goat cheese
4 T parmesan cheese
2 T sun-dried tomato oil (the oil in the jar of sun dried tomatoes)
for spinach pesto
Recipe courtesy of Southern Food: About.com
4 cups spinach, washed and torn
4 garlic cloves, halved
3 T. walnuts
2 sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place a few spinach leaves, garlic, walnuts, basil and oil in food processor. Puree until leaves becomes crushed.
2. Continue adding spinach leaves a few at a time with small amounts of oil to blender, using a rubber spatula to help to combine pureed mixture.
3. Add sun-dried tomatoes and pulse until mixed in with the rest of the pesto. Add parmesan cheese, puree until spinach pesto mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4. Prepare pizza dough according to package.
5. Spread pesto evenly over top and scatter spinach leaves on top. Evenly scatter the onion slices, ham and figs over top and then pinch blobs of goat cheese over everything. Layer ingredients as much as you want. Then add Parmesan cheese over top and drizzle with the sun-dried tomato oil.
6. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Voila! Don’t expect any leftovers.