My family usually makes kugel with raisins, cinnamon and crushed pineapple. So when I wanted to switch it up a bit, I had to do some searching. Even though my Cooking Jewish cookbook has 7 or 8 different recipes for kugel – rita’s special kugel, grandma reila’s incredible noodle pudding, you get the idea – none of them are savory (although they all sound delicious!). So after a little extra effort, a few assumptions about what would taste good and some experience to fall back on – we found this new savory experience to be quite fulfilling!
1 16 oz. bag broad egg noodles
2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tsp minced garlic
1 carton of mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of paprika and parsley on top
Preheat oven to 350
1. Boil noodles and drain, pour into 9×13 baking dish
2. Sautee mushrooms and onions in medium skillet.
3. Add eggs and cottage cheese to noodles and stir until completely and evenly coated.
4. Add mushrooms and onions and combine well
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix in
6. Sprinkle paprika and parsley on top. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown