I’ve written about Apple Pie before, but it was time to branch out and find another recipe. There are thousands and thousands of apple pie recipes, but this time, let’s go with the one from Bake or Break.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
3 T. sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 butter, room temperature
1 1/2 stick butter, diced and chilled
6 T. apple juice concentrate
4 T. cold water
1 T. heavy cream
3 pounds assorted apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4-inch slices (I used Granny Smith, Jonagold, Empire and Macintosh)
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 T. butter, cut into small pieces
1. For pie crust: Thoroughly mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and place into refrigerator. Soften 1/2 stick of butter to room temperature. Chop the remaining 1 1/2 sticks of butter and return to the refrigerator.
2. In a food processor, mix the dry ingredients with the 1/2 stick of softened butter until the butter is completely integrated. Remove the chopped butter from the refrigerator and add half to the food processor. Pulse the food processor about ten times for about one second each time. Add the other half of the butter and pulse about four times to achieve larger chunks of butter.
3. Move dough into large bowl. Mix apple juice concentrate and cold water in small bowl. Pour apple juice/water mixture over dough, then fold the dough with a rubber spatula. Repeat this procedure until dough mixture is dry to the touch, but stays together when squeezed. If the dough does not hold together, continue adding moisture in the manner above. Remove the dough, form into a ball, wrap in parchment paper and place in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
4.To prepare, divide the dough in half and roll out to a disk on a floured surface. Carefully fold in half and place in pie pan. Unfold pie dough and arrange in pan.
5. Roll out second half of dough and set aside.
For apple filling:
1. In a large bowl, mix apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Arrange apples in pie shell. Dot with butter.
2. Place top of dough over the apples and tuck into bottom dough.
3. Brush the rim of the pie shell with egg wash.
4. Place pie on a lined baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes, until crust begins to turn golden.
5. Reduce oven to 350°. Bake about 40 to 50 minutes. Crust should be a deep golden brown and the juices should be bubbling and have thickened. Cool on a wire rack.
Voila! One of thousands of other apple pie recipes! What are some of your favorite apple pie recipes?