Has it really been almost 2.5 weeks since we last met? Wow. The election is in 4 days and life has just been busy I guess!
But tonight is Halloween and it’s time to reignite our bond over sweet, moist pumpkin swirl brownies. They’re not spooky or creepy or haunted. They’re just right for a cozy Halloween get together on a brisk autumn night.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
8 T. butter, plus more for pan
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, plus extra for sprinkling on top
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 T. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups pumpkin
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350. Line 8×13 (or 9×9) pan with parchment paper and grease
1. Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture.
4. Pour half of batter into a separate bowl and set aside.
5. Back in the original bowl with the other half of the batter, stir in the pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Now stir chocolate mixture into the other half of the batter.
5. Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Top with half of pumpkin batter. Repeat to make one more chocolate layer and one more pumpkin layer. Work quickly so batters don’t set.
6. With a table knife, gently swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect. **Be sure to get your knife all the way to the bottom of the pan. Bake 35-40 minutes.
Voila! A fabulous Halloween (and/or autumn) treat!
Post-baking thoughts: These are delicious! When I read some of the reader reviews on it, people were saying they liked taste, but would prefer to have just a brownie or just a pumpkin bar. I disagree. The combination of these two flavors work like witchcraft (corny Halloween joke..I know)! The smooth chocolatey flavor comes first, then BANG pumpkin. Then the flavors tango as you chew and it’s great.