Courtesy of The Washington Post
This festive looking dessert is refreshing and very summery. The recipe uses blueberries, but I also dreamt about using rasberries as well. Be creative and enjoy!
1 cup mascarpone
1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream (or half-in-half)
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coconut extract (optional)
2 store-bought poundcakes (I got mine from Whole Foods)
3 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups shredded coconut
1. Combine mascarpone, whipping cream and confectioners sugar. Mix with electric mixer or whisk until soft peaks rise, thickens and becomes spreadable.
2. Trim ends and top of poundcakes so they can fit end-to-end and are flat on top. Also slice poundcake in half.
3. Open poundcake and spread 1/4 cup or so of mascarpone mixture. Add layer of blueberries. Then add another light layer of mascarpone. Place top of poundcake on top.
4. Frost the rest of the poundcake with 1 cup of mascarpone (save some for the second poundcake!).
5. Sprinkle coconut shavings on top and all sides of poundcake. You may have to get your hands dirty sticking the coconut on the sides of the cake. Cover top with layer of blueberries.
6. Repeat directions 2-5 for second poundcake. Place on a platter end-to-end or side-by-side.
Note: Eat immediately, or cover and refridgerate no longer than overnight.
Voila! Easy and ready to eat!
Post-baking thoughts: The poundcake was a little dense. Next time I would try using angel food cake.