I improvised a lot with this recipe from Fine Cooking. Based on what I had and what we like to eat (I’m not a huge fan of prosciutto as the original recipe calls for).
A bit of a change: the original recipe is in the link above, my improvisations and additions are in the ingredients below.
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
3-4 small garlic cloves, sliced
2 cups frozen spinach
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3-4 sundried tomatoes, in oil, sliced
Two 7- to 8-inch pitas, each split into two rounds
One pack of all-natural chicken sausages)
other necessary items: 2 skillets and weights (bottles of olive oil, water, ketch-up, whatever is in the kitchen).
Preheat oven to 250.
1. Slice garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes and sausage into slices. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in skillet. Add spinach and thinly sliced garlic cloves. Sautee until done. Remove from skillet into medium sized bowl.
3. Add sun-dried tomatoes, shredded cheese and mix all together.
4. Add another tablespoon of oil and add sausages. Sautee until browned on both sides.
5. Rinse and wipe skillet clean. Heat blank skillet to medium-high.
6. The assembly process: Place slice of provolone on pita bread. Add thin, even layer of spinach mixture. Add sausage slices.
7. Place pita on hot skillet. Put second skillet on top of pita and then place the weights in the second skillet. The pita will grill like this. Keep it like this for about 2-3 minutes, then flip sandwich. Repeat once or twice and serve! To keep warm, place in oven.